Thank you for your interest in becoming a REALTOR®. There are a number of steps required to become a full REALTOR® member of Helena Association of REALTORS®, or any other local association.
First you will need to become a licensed real estate agent or broker through the State of Montana. The Board of Realty Regulation can provide more information regarding licensure. The BRR’s website is: http://bsd.dli.mt.gov/license/bsd_boards/rre_board/board_page.asp
Next you will need to join a member office. The Broker/Owner will send HAR a letter indicating that you will be joining the firm.
HAR has annual dues, which also include payments to the Montana and National Associations of REALTORS®. Dues are prorated throughout the year for new members who join. Call the HAR office for an estimate of what you will owe to join now.
Once you have a license and have joined a local real estate office, there is a variety of paperwork to be filled out, both by you and your broker. After we have processed these documents, you will be required to take NAR’s Code of Ethics training, which can be completed on-line. Ethics training will be renewed on a two-year basis throughout a REALTOR’s® career.
The final steps to becoming a full REALTOR® member are attending the HAR New Member Orientation, which is held quarterly or more often. It takes about 3 hours. And finally, you will need formal approval from the HAR Board of Directors and the REALTOR® Oath will be administered. At that point you will be a full REALTOR® member.
Please feel free to contact the HAR/MLS office with any questions you may have.
Steps to Becoming a REALTOR®
- Find a broker
- As a new salesperson in the State of Montana, you must start out under a supervising broker
- Get your license
- The Montana Board of Realty Regulation is the entity that issues licenses
- Contact the Helena Association of REALTORS®
- Staff will send you and your broker an e-mail with the REALTOR® Application, a questionnaire to fill out with the broker, the prorated dues amount for the date you join, and all the other requirements for membership
- Pay your dues
- Take NAR’s online Code of Ethics training course, and pass the test
Once you have completed the above steps, you may be eligible to be a provisional REALTOR® member. As a provisional member, you will be able to access the Montana Regional MLS. Please keep in mind that the MLS is a separate corporation with different staff than HAR, and the process for getting new members set up with access can take up to three days.
The final steps are:
- Attend New REALTOR® Orientation at the HAR Office
- Be formally approved by the HAR Board of Directors
For more information, please contact HAR or call 406-449-3835.